Thinking Global Acting Local : Preparing Students for Global Citizenship
Who is a global citizen?
A global citizen is an individual who is aware of his own role as a world citizen, respects and values diversity, has an understanding of how the world works economically, politically, socially, culturally, technologically and environmentally, contributes to the community at a range of levels from local to global & is willing to act to make the world a more sustainable place.
Need for global citizenship
- Provides a context to the learnings of the children.
- Reinforces the belief that even individuals have the power to change things.
- Enables children to counter ignorance and intolerance, and equips them with the skills required to challenge misinformation and stereotyped views.
- Encourages children to recognize theirresponsibilities and learn from each other.
- In a rapidly changing world, global citizenship teaches the children to be adaptable and flexible.
Values: A sense of identity and self-esteem, empathy, value and respect for diversity, a concern for environment & sustainable development.
Knowledge: related to social justice & equity, globalization & interdependence, sustainable development, peace & conflict.
Skills: critical thinking, respect for people from varied background, co-operation &conflict resolution, and an ability to challenge injustice and inequalities.